Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sketchy Looking Bridges



I was informed the other day of some new bridges being built at the Creekside trail. I was also informed that it was rumored that I was making these bridges. Well I went and searched for them with Dan and Joe and was unpleasantly suprised to come across a very shoddily build wood A-frame bridge over a very rotted fallen tree. This sketchasaurous bridge was made with a pained door which would'nt ever be slick and the other side was pieced together with all sorts of wood scraps. I don't think anyone cold ride this and I hope would have enough sense to stay away from it. This bridge looks like a time bomb before it collapses.


So we ventured on along the trail when we came to some new pressure treated 4x4's laid in the dirt used to mark the trail (hmmm I sure could put those posts to way better use than as trail markers....) Well then we saw the swamp bridges being built. They are all build out of nice new pressure treated 2x4's and screwed together. The bridge is built over a old fallen tree in a swamp. Wonder if whoever is building these bridges realizes that as soon as it rains the bridges will be under water and unrideable? Well Dan and Joe were scared to ride this bridge of some sort, but I tempted fate and successfully rode it only to get to the other side which was definitely swamp. I was thinking, "hmmm ok this has potential, a new trail is always good...." when I realized that there was no continuation of trail, but a turn around an uprooted tree to recross the swamp across more dead fallen trees half submerged. Once again these guys are going to be covered up with water the first time it rains. This bridge was not yet completed and there were tools scattered about, which makes me wonder if whoever was building them was still back there.


All I have to say is that I have nothing to do with these bridges, but if whoever is building them wants to put his or her resources to better use on bridges and trails that will always be rideable and dry, talk to me. I'm broke, out of wood, but would like some help finishing my trails. It would be a shame to see all that good wood and work go to waste on a trail that will not be rideable most of the year. To whoever is building these, I'm willing to show you a thing or two about building a sustainable trail, quit wasting all these resources on something that will go to waste and not be enjoyed by Gainesville's large mountain bike community.


And to everyone who might be motivated to start building trails: get with someone who has been doing it for a while<---all the guys who do the Goodbike Tues/Thurs rides. By working with someone who knows how to properly build a trail you will learn a lot. Just going out there and cutting trail without thinking it through first or slapping together some sketchy bridges is not good. It hurts the land, is no fun to ride, and the shoddy bridges could end up hurtuing someone. When building on public land, make bridges that most everyone can ride without worrying about getting hurt. If you just put a little more time, effort, and design into trail building, they will last for a very long time and will be enjoyed my many people.


Hope I didn't offend anyone..........

2 comments:

Unknown said...

me too. i spent all day on that sweet A-frame.

Unknown said...

Ah now guys, don't hate appreciate!!!!